PROVO, Utah (AP) — Craig Cusick tipped in Matt Carlino's miss with 0.2 seconds left, lifting BYU to a 70-68 victory over in-state rival Utah State on Tuesday night.

The Cougars (20-8) never trailed after halftime but saw Utah State tie the game at 68 on Spencer Butterfield's free throws with 56 seconds to play, completing a comeback from an 11-point second-half deficit.

BYU's Brandon Davies then missed a jumper, but Tyler Haws grabbed the offensive rebound with 35 seconds left to allow the Cougars to hold the ball for the last shot. Carlino's 3-point attempt was off the mark, but Cusick cleaned up the miss and scored to help BYU pull out the win.

Cusick's heroics were just what the Cougars had in mind, BYU coach Dave Rose said.

""The final play was what we drew up," Rose said, adding that Carlino's 3 "didn't go in, but with the time difference, we could send all five guys to the glass. We sent them all in, and Craig got a clean look. That was a huge basket for him."

"As a player, you couldn't dream it any better," Cusick said. "Coach called a great play. I ran to where I thought it was going to come off, and I was fortunate the ball came to me."

Haws scored 27 points for the Cougars, who won despite shooting 35 percent from the field and going 4 of 21 from 3-point range. Haws' performance was his 19th game of 20 points or more this season.

Davies and Brock Zylstra added 10 points apiece for BYU. Cusick's tip-in was his only basket of the game; he was 0 of 6 from the floor before that.

Spencer Butterfield had 21 points and 14 rebounds for the Aggies (18-7), who also got 13 points from Jarred Shaw and 11 from Marvin Jean. Utah State dominated inside, outscoring BYU 28-14 in the paint and outrebounding the Cougars 39-33.

"If you look at the stats, we did a lot of things right," Utah State coach Stew Morrill said. "Our defense was pretty good, and our rebounding was pretty good. We turned the ball over way too much and missed free throws."

BYU led 41-32 at halftime and by 11 a minute into the second half, but the Cougars went ice cold from the floor after halftime, going only 8 of 30.

The game originally was scheduled for Dec. 5 but was postponed after Utah State's Danny Berger went into cardiac arrest during practice the day before. A fast-acting assistant trainer, among others, helped save Berger's life. Berger is unlikely to play again this season but hopes to return for the 2013-14 season.

The Cougars now hold a 137-92 lead in the all-time series with the Aggies.