MURRAY, Ky. (AP) — Isaiah Canaan scored 21 points and had five assists to lead Murray State to its fifth straight victory, 75-70 over Western Kentucky in a nonconference game Sunday.

Canaan scored eight of his points during a 14-2 run by the Racers (8-1) that turned a 54-52 deficit with 7:17 remaining into a 66-56 advantage at the 3:34 mark.

The Hilltoppers (8-3), who had won six straight, cut their deficit to 68-64 with 1:54 left after Brandon Harris hit two consecutive 3-pointers. Harris finished with a career-high 23 points after coming in averaging 4.2.

A layup by Dexter Fields pushed Murray State's lead back to six, 70-64, and the Racers hit five free throws in the final minute, three by Canaan, to secure the victory in a game that featured 13 lead changes.

Ed Daniel added 16 points, Fields 14 and Stacy Wilson 13 for Murray State, which also got eight points and 10 rebounds from Brandon Garrett.

"We knew it was going to be physical. Our main thing was just to come back, keep fighting and don't get frustrated, just keep playing," Daniel said.

Teeng Akol scored 14 points and George Fant 10 for injury-riddled Western Kentucky, which played without its leading scorer, T.J. Price, who missed the game with an ankle injury.

"Not only were we playing without T.J. Price, we got hit with not being able to play Jamal Crook," Western Kentucky coach Steve Harper said. "Kevin Kaspar was trying to get out but he was hurt. We were right there with a depleted roster, but like I told them in the locker room, I couldn't be more proud of them."

Murray State shot 49.1 percent (27 of 55), including 50 percent (9 of 18) from 3-point range while holding the Hilltoppers to 43.3 percent (29 of 67) overall and just 20 percent (5 of 25) from outside the arc.

"Anytime we win that's a great thing, that's a positive," Murray State coach Steve Prohm said. "(Injuries) are part of the game, and credit Western Kentucky for their resiliency. Fant was really good, Akol was good, then they got in foul trouble, which balanced out that. Then Harris stepped up and played really good, but sometimes the worst position to be in is when teams face an injury like that during a game and some other guys step up."

Murray State led 33-28 at halftime, but Western Kentucky tied the game at 45 on a three-point play by Harris and took a 47-45 lead on two free throws by O'Karo Akamune.

The Hilltoppers took their final lead, 54-52, on a 3-pointer by Harris, but Canaan answered with a 3-pointer that put the Racers ahead to stay with 6:55 left.

"(Harris) was making those shots all game long, and he made that one and then I turned around and made mine, and I mean there were no words said," Canaan said with a smile. "I was just saying to myself, 'Anything you can do, I can do better.' It helped us in the long run, kind of flipped a switch and got things moving."