WINSTON-SALEM, N.C. (AP) — Wake Forest kept creating open shots. Once they finally started falling, C.J. Harris and the Demon Deacons found out what it feels like to blow out an outmanned opponent.

Harris scored 20 points and Wake Forest claimed its most lopsided victory of the season, a 79-55 rout of Furman on Tuesday night.

"We didn't give up a lead today," Harris said. "We kept it going for 40 minutes, and that shows growth for our guys. ... In the past games, they've been close games. We've been two possessions short on a few of them, and ... in the first half, it was a close game and we didn't fold. We kept pushing and that just shows how we're getting more mature."

Travis McKie added 16 points and freshman Tyler Cavanaugh added 10 of his season-high 12 during the decisive spurt that bridged the halves for the Demon Deacons (5-5).

Playing their first game in 10 days because of final exams, they shot 53.8 percent on 28-of-52 shooting, outscored the Paladins 46-12 in the paint — mainly a function of the guards' penetration and their productive transition defense — and used a 32-8 run during a span of roughly 11 minutes to cruise to just their second win since Nov. 23.

They hadn't beaten anybody by more than 12 points before this.

"In the past we've allowed missing shots to defuse us, our energy defensively, but today we did not," coach Jeff Bzdelik said. "We stayed steady from start to finish, and that was really a good thing. A great thing."

Stephen Croone and Colin Reddick scored 12 apiece for Furman (3-7). The Paladins had trouble with Wake Forest's length and full-court press, turning it over 13 times and losing for the fifth time in six games.

"The way we would have to overcome that (pressure) is shooting the ball a little bit better," coach Jeff Jackson said. "We didn't make enough baskets so that we could really set our defense, so we were playing against them a lot in transition."

The Demon Deacons put this one out of reach shortly before and immediately after halftime, taking the lead for good early during a run of 10 straight points to end the half before coming out of the locker room and continuing to add to it.

That was thanks in large part to Cavanaugh, who had seven consecutive points late in the run. Devin Thomas' three-point play with 11:25 left capped the run and made it 59-38 — Wake Forest's largest lead of the year to that point, though that was eventually dwarfed by the final margin.

Harris scored 20 for the second straight game, after his career-high 28-point night Dec. 8 against Seton Hall — one of two games this month that the Demon Deacons let slip away in the final minute.

In this one, he needed barely 8 minutes to reach double figures and surpassed his 13-point average by halftime with 16, hitting six of his first seven attempts and making 4 of 5 from 3-point range during the opening 20 minutes.

Still, it took a while for Wake Forest to separate itself from a Furman team that entered at No. 346 — of 347 Division I schools — in an unofficial online RPI replication and has just one win over a Division I team.

"We're in the game," Jackson said, "and then we felt like we started chasing the game."

It wasn't until a run of 10 straight points during the final 2-plus minutes of the half that Wake Forest could exhale a bit, and Harris made the key plays that bookended the burst.

He started it with a 3 with 2:11 left that tied it at 30, and after McKie finished at the rim on consecutive possessions, Harris had a pretty feed that set up Cavanaugh's 3 with about 2 seconds before the buzzer, making it 37-30.

"When C.J.'s burying shots all in the first half, I mean, when I set a screen, (the defenders) are going to go with him," Cavanaugh said. "He made a great pass back to me and I knocked the shot down. ... That carried over and sparked us."

That run came after Bryant Irwin's 3 from the corner gave Furman its last lead, 30-27, with 2:25 left.