ROSEMONT, Ill. (AP) — Fuquan Edwin refused to waste a second chance to save Seton Hall in its Big East conference opener.

A DePaul turnover gave Seton Hall the ball with 26 seconds remaining as they trailed 72-71, and the Pirates had two chances to take the lead in the final seconds. Edwin missed a jumper in the lane, but the Pirates hustled for the loose ball on the miss, which deflected off a Blue Demon out of bounds. Edwin capitalized off the inbound play, converting the game-winning layup with 6.9 seconds remaining to give Seton Hall a 73-72 win against DePaul on Wednesday night.

"On the first one I took, I didn't feel like it was a clear shot," Edwin said. "I felt like it was a foul, there was a lot of contact, but I wanted to play through it.

"I just went to my spot that coach (Kevin Willard) told me to go, and I've got a good feel for the game. I read them, saw them behind me and snaked through them and went to the rim. It was open for me."

Jamee Crockett of DePaul missed a wide open 3-pointer with four seconds left to seal Seton Hall's win.

Aaron Cosby led Seton Hall (12-2) with a career-high 24 points. Edwin finished with 11 points.

The Pirates pulled out the win despite having only seven players available, but a balanced scoring attack made up for a short bench. Two Seton Hall players had double-doubles. Brandon Mobley had 16 points and 10 rebounds, and Eugene Teague had 11 points and 15 rebounds. The Pirates shot 46.6 percent from the field and made 10 of 24 3-pointer attempts.

"We spend a lot of time shooting," Cosby said. "Everybody has the green light to shoot. If we're open, take the shot, and if you miss it, don't worry about it. Shoot the next one."

DePaul was also playing its first Big East conference game of the season. Crockett led DePaul with 16 points and seven rebounds. Brandon Young had 15 points, Durrell McDonald had 12, and Charles McKinney had 10.

The loss was a tough one for DePaul after chipping away at Seton Hall's 40-32 halftime lead.

"We're a lot better team than they are, but they were shooting 3s and they were going in," Crockett said. "Our coach (Oliver Purnell), he warned us about it, but we didn't expect them to be that hot."

McDonald made a 3-pointer as the shot clock expired to tie the game at 52 with 9:42 remaining. Less than a minute later the Blue Demons (9-5) took the lead on Young's three-point play. From then on, the teams traded baskets as neither squad led by more than five points the rest of the game.

"We played well in spurts," Willard said. "Defensively we didn't play very well in the second half, but we got the stops that we needed to get."

The Blue Demons' defense helped them overcome the Pirates' torrid first-half shooting, forcing 21 total turnovers, which led to 18 points. Even though DePaul limited its turnovers (12), poor free throw shooting and rebounding struggles prevented the Blue Demons from extending their lead late in the second half. DePaul shot 60 percent (15 of 25) at the free throw line and was outrebounded 40-32.

Mobley's 3-pointer tied the game at 64 with five minutes remaining, but Seton Hall was unable to break the tie until Edwin's game-winning shot. The Pirates kept the game within reach, however, thanks to a clutch 3 by Cosby to keep it a one-point game with less than three minutes left.